Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter

Today in sacrament meeting I had a very enlightening moment. Every year all my Dad says he wants for Christmas and his birthday is for his children to grow in righteousness and stay close to the Gospel. I have gotten use to this request and I sometimes joke around with him about it. I know he is serious, but I am not quite up to his spiritual level, so I still want things for my birthday and Christmas. Today though, I understood my Dad's desire. As I sat during the talks, my mind was called upon to reflect the desires of my heart. As I sat, I knew all I wanted was to spend eternity with my family.

Jarom wrote a poem. It is a really good poem, and I decided to help him out and submitted it to the New Era. I was really surprised when Jarom sent the poem to me, I didn't know he was the poetry writing type.

The Old Olive Tree

In an ancient land in garden sacred

I stand an old olive tree

I was the one with the Lord

That night when His friends slumbered and slept

When He asked Father to remove that cup, but not My will but Thine, be done

I comforted Him in His darkest hour and greatest need

When He did that great act it was at the base of me an olive tree

When that perfect man took on all mankind’s sin

The great drops of blood that fell, fell upon me an unworthy olive tree

I cried for Him wanting to do more

Weeping when they betrayed and carried Him away

Sobbing when I heard He had died on the cross on Calvary

O but what joy to see His risen face and hear His voice

So here I stand an old olive tree

To testify to all, of the selfless act that happened in Gethsemane

This poem has been the cause of much of the reflection that I have been having the past couple of days. What Christ suffered, I have no idea. I just know the pain and heart ache I felt watching my brothers struggle with their challenges. I have felt the distance when I have withdrawn from the Spirit. The pain and sorrow of having the companionship of the Spirit entirely withdraw from me would be unbearable. Yet, what exceedingly great joy I have felt upon the return of the lost sheep to the fold. How my heart has been filled with gladness when I have repented. I can only image that that is in a small part how we all felt when our Lord and Savior conquered death. I need to do better, for I am slipping and I yearn to be close. I want to feel the light within again. I think I am going to make it. Not on my own, by any means, but with some Heavenly help, I will make it back.

No comments: