Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Suicidal rats

I had a rat in my house. Well, I guess technically it is just Austin's house right now, but my things are there. I have to wash all of my dishes underneath the sink, I heard it crawling around on my pots and pans last Thursday. It has gone now though. Friday night/Saturday morning it decided to quench its thirst in the toilet and couldn't get out. Let me start at the beginning.

We started suspecting something last Saturday after discovering that our mouse traps had been tripped. We bought some sticky traps on Wednesday thinking that it was a fast mouse and not getting stuck in our snap traps. Thursday we found that whatever was in our house was getting in the trash can. We put a sticky trap behind the garbage can. On Friday morning, Austin discovered that that particular stick trap had disappeared. Friday evening we looked under the couch, found the trap and a rat tail stuck to it. Needless to say, I was thoroughly grossed out. The rat had chewed its tail off to get away. We put the rat trap that my mom had behind the garbage baited with a flaming hot funion. I decided that I had no desire to live with a rat, so Friday night I explained to Heavenly Father how I felt and I would be greatly obliged if a way would be provided for the rat to leave. Saturday morning, Austin found it drowned in the toilet. It could be that it was thirsty after eating a flaming hot funion that we use for bait, but I know that it was Heavenly Father answering a prayer.

Because of the masochistic, suicidal rat Austin spent Saturday morning cleaning the bathroom instead of taking engagement pictures with me. I woke up early so we could get our pictures done and then spend the rest of the day doing birthday things for me (that was his plan, not mine). However, MS rat changed that. We took our pictures in the afternoon instead (I'll post them later). I had a good birthday weekend anyway, and there is NO RAT IN MY HOUSE!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I hate rats. My parents have roof rats, or at least they had A roof rat. My dad put out poison and a gew days later he found a dead one in their yard. They haven't heard any other scampering around, so they presume that was the only one. I hope so. I hate knowing that they could beone just a few feet above my head! Yuck!