Tonight I went to a career seminar and a lecture. Both of them were very interesting.
I went to the government intelligence session and decided that it would be cool to apply to the FBI or NSA. I might do that, just cause. They both sound like interesting career choices.
The lecture was equally good, in fact, better. Dr. Christian Smith was so interesting and engaging. It makes me wish that I could combine my current research with his research. It isn't possible, but it would be cool to compare religious families to non-religious families. It was so wonderful.
I went to the lecture 45 minutes early because I wanted to be sure to get a good seat. I went into the auditorium and left my stuff in my seat so I could go to the foyer to talk to my mom (Mom, Dad, and Jarom went down to Mesa) to see if they made it alright. Dr. Olsen said that President Hinckley went to the lectures when he was alive because the chair is named after Sister Hinckley. I told my mom this and mentioned that it would be cool if President Monson came in honor of President Hinckley, not thinking that it would really happen. I then went to the bathroom. When I went to go sit down there were two gentlemen standing by my chair so I couldn't sit down. I waited off to the side because I didn't want to disturb them. When they moved away a lady walked up to them and said, "Hello, Elder Scott." I immediately started freaking out. Richard G. Scott was standing 4 feet away from me and I didn't even know it. I took a couple of very obvious pictures, called my mom again to tell her what happened, and then sat down to listen to the lecture. There were a bunch of people there: Sister Hinckley's siblings, Sister Tanner and Sister Dalton of the Young Women's Presidency, the General Young Men's Presidency, a couple of the members of the Seventy, and all of the Hinckley's children but one (I think it was Elder Richard Hinckley of the Seventy, they would have announced his presence as a member of the Seventy). Towards the end I realized that Sister Hinckley's siblings were two rows back and across the aisle form me. After the lecture I went up to thank Dr. Smith and shake his hand. Someone came up and stood next to me, I looked over and it was Elder Scott. I was standing next to Richard G. Scott! I started freaking out again. I kept wanting to stare at him, but I resisted the urge. I shook hands with Dr. Smith and turned to leave. Elder Scott was standing nearby so I went up to say high. My voice cracked when I said hello and told him I was excited that he was there. He said that he was excited to be there. I then turned to leave and have still not calmed all the way down. I naturally called my mom when I was able to talk without squeaking.
I found out in that conversation that the steering wheel that Kenyon designed made it through the first round of cuts. He worked so hard on that. I hope he wins. I am so happy for him.
No comments:
Post a Comment